running Hood to Coast (a relay race in Oregon) with his best friend from high school, his wife & a bunch of other folks.
He was super excited to go, and I was excited to have him go because I will be going away for a few days in just a few weeks so we will be “even.”
I got to thinking about these get-aways that we get to have and realized there is a stark difference between the two. We will both be single-parenting for a few days, but the list of activities will be drastically different. Since I have been the one here experiencing this, let me share a short list of what we’ve been up to:
– Back to School Night
– driving carpool (loving the new mini-van for this activity, by the way)
– making dinner (3 times which did not include hot dogs or breakfast)
– driving to karate
– going to Costco (with 2 kids)
– making lunches
– making breakfasts
– going grocery shopping (twice with 3 kids)
– organizing the storage room
– organizing the kids closets as well as ours
– cleaning the kitchen floor
– vacumming the house
– sewing quilt squares, a birthday pennant banner and hair bows & adding the Bobcat patch to Conner’s scout shirt
– playing Phase 10 with the boys
– playing on the bed with Audra
– pulling kids around on a blanket
– helping Conner name 10 European countries
– going to Stake Conference with 3 kids (wish me luck)
Okay, I guess I could go on. My point: when I go away it requires a lot more planning and work. I will have to pre-make dinners for the fam before I go. And I will have to clean-up after I get back. Yes, they will have fun while I am gone & they will definitely eat less healthily . . . so lucky for them. It’s just interesting to me the difference in how these get-aways are managed.
I’m guess it must be quite messy & fun on “Mars” and quite organized & peaceful on “Venus” :)!